Monday, February 07, 2005

Blog Leadoff, TIME, and Inaudible Melodies...

Wow! I get to bat blog leadoff!

Hello! It's a pleasure to be here starting off this conversation, this new virtual realm of Writing Center talk, where we can continue the conversations we have daily with each other. I think this is also a great place where we can discuss the immediate volume of The WCJ--almost as if we have been told to "talk amongst ourselves" and the WCJ is our topic.

So...? An issue centering on time...

It feels appropriate to be writing in here today because I, too, have been thinking a lot lately about time, both as quantity and quality, trying to make the most of both, professionally and personally. This is Week 5 at IUP, which means for me that I have had a lot of one-on-one out-of-class conferences with students in both my ENG 101: College Writing and ENG 202: Research Writing Courses, and it occurs to me, time and time again, how I wish I could sit with many of them for more than 15 minutes per session because there IS SO MUCH to talk about, to learn about, and to, dare I say, teach. And since the other night, when I read Anne Geller's "Tick, Tock, Next:...: in the WCJ, I have been imagining these Crayola-drawn clocks hanging over my conferences, floating and melting, which brings me to Dali's "Persistence of Memory," which makes me think: the memory on my computer has gotten extremely low since the tech people installed this new printer-fax-photocopier (could they have not included a coffee maker to that mix?) and now my computer is running s-l-o-w, which takes up more of my TIME.

I love the idea of encouraging people to draw out their experiences as tutors. I'm wondering how I can translate this into a classroom practice. (Do I have time right now to figure that out?) There's just something about breaking away from words for a moment and allowing pictures to be our texts--isn't that where we came from?

Having worked at one Writing Center that used a half-hour/hour scheduling system and a second Writing Center that was primarily drop-in, I'll say that I'm still not sure which way I'd rather use time when tutoring. Drop-ins sometimes work great during weeks when business is slow, but during mid-term and finals, the pressure of a line always seems to intimidate--and stress out--both tutors and students, especially when students want to have MORE TIME. The scheduling system, at minimum, seems to even workloads, potentially training (or conditioning) people into how to use time.

There are just times when I wish I could slow down any session, student-teacher conference or peer tutoring, and look at it objetively, as if from a narrator's window, and recognize more available options at critical points. Because, in time, afterwards, a new option is almost always bound to spring up.

Ugh. We even have a magazine named TIME.

It brings me to a line from a Jack Johnson song I wish we could all hear... and live by:

"Slow down everyone, you're moving too fast/ frames can't get you when you're moving like that..." (from "Inaudible Melodies")

So... that's it for now.

In time, be it later or tomorrow, I will return...


Enjoy blogging, enjoy living,
Kevin






Oh, and here's the last verse of "Inaudible Melodies:"

Well Plato's cave is full of freaks
Demanding refunds for the things they've seen
I wish they could believe
In all the things that never made the screen
And just slow down everyone
You're moving too fast
Frames can't catch you when
You're moving like that
Slow down everyone
You're moving too fast
Frames can't catch you when
You're moving like that
Moving Too....


http://www.jackjohnsonmusic.com/

6 Comments:

At 5:51 AM, Blogger Tamara Miles said...

Hey --- I liked the first track of Jack Johnson's songs offered as a sample. It's always great to start the day off with some good sounds. I just created my own blog so I could jump in here and communicate with the friends of WCJ. My blog is called apocaLIPSnow, but that's about all I've got: a title.

Here's what comes to mind when I reflect on TIME:

"To everything, turn, turn,turn, there is a season, turn, turn, turn, and a TIME to every purpose under heaven."

"It's TIME for a cool change."

"If I could turn back TIME ..."

"The TIME's, they are a-changin'"

and finally, the title for my own SCWCA conference paper (to be delivered in Baton Rouge in March: "Feels Like the First Time: Opening a New Writing Studio at OC Tech"

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger gad said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger gad said...

I guess I'm really commenting on Tamara's comment, rather than (or perhaps in addition to?) Kevin's post. First, welcome to blogging, Tamara...and WCJ. Second, Tamara's new blog has sparked a suggestion for the editors of the WCJ blog. Are there enough of us WCJ folk with our own blogs to merit a blog roll in the sidebar of the WCJ blog? Such a collection of links to individual blogs might allow us to go beyond commenting upon the WCJ blog entries by also allowing us to enjoy one another's more independent and wide-ranging reflections and ramblings. Just a thought....

For those of you interested in exploring such offerings, you might take a look at either of the following sites:

<> Kairos: Weblogs by Teachers and Scholars in Composition, Rhetoric, and Literature<> Rhetorica: Professors Who Blog

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger rediffco.com said...

adult dating adult friend finder sex hot nude college girls teen and adult dating adult friend finder sex hot nude college girls teen and adult dating adult friend finder sex hot nude college girls teen and free dating site adult dating adult friend finder sex hot nude college girls teen and pay per click search engine and aishwarya rai ayesha takia mallika sherawat hot wallpapers

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

runescape money runescape gold runescape money runescape gold wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft Power Leveling Warcraft PowerLeveling buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items runescape gold runescape money runescape accounts runescape gp dofus kamas buy dofus kamas Guild Wars Gold buy Guild Wars Gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold runescape money runescape power leveling runescape money runescape gold dofus kamas cheap runescape money cheap runescape gold Hellgate Palladium Hellgate London Palladium Hellgate money Tabula Rasa gold tabula rasa money lotro gold buy lotro gold Tabula Rasa Credit Tabula Rasa Credits Hellgate gold Hellgate London gold dofus kamas buy dofus kamas wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft PowerLeveling Warcraft Power Leveling World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling eve isk eve online isk eve isk eve online isk 血管瘤 肝血管瘤 音乐剧 北京富码电视 富码电视 富码电视台 7天酒店 7天连锁酒店 7天连锁 自清洗过滤器 过滤器 压力开关 压力传感器 流量开关 流量计 液位计 液位开关 温湿度记录仪 风速仪 可燃气体检测仪 宿县最帅的胖子

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

runescape money runescape gold runescape money runescape gold wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft Power Leveling Warcraft PowerLeveling buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items runescape gold runescape money runescape accounts runescape gp dofus kamas buy dofus kamas Guild Wars Gold buy Guild Wars Gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold runescape money runescape power leveling runescape money runescape gold dofus kamas cheap runescape money cheap runescape gold Hellgate Palladium Hellgate London Palladium Hellgate money Tabula Rasa gold tabula rasa money lotro gold buy lotro gold Tabula Rasa Credit Tabula Rasa Credits Hellgate gold Hellgate London gold dofus kamas buy dofus kamas wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft PowerLeveling Warcraft Power Leveling World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling eve isk eve online isk eve isk eve online isk 血管瘤 肝血管瘤 音乐剧 北京富码电视 富码电视 富码电视台 7天酒店 7天连锁酒店 7天连锁 自清洗过滤器 过滤器 压力开关 压力传感器 流量开关 流量计 液位计 液位开关 温湿度记录仪 风速仪 可燃气体检测仪 宿县最帅的胖子

 

Post a Comment

<< Home