Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Day Next: TIME (again), and Space!

Blog the Next

I start this blog with a confession: yesterday, I was a 1st-time blogger. Today, then, I am only a 2nd-time blogger. And now, I like blog'g. I even like the word "blog."

Ahh, personal emancipation. So much easier when yr audience is "virtual." I do know quite a few of you, & I can see yr faces in my mind as I write, but I realize that, at least for this moment, as I write in virtual space (or in my own epochal time), I'm not constrict'd by potential conversational obstructions.

(I'll discuss this "virtual" issue a bit more later in the week as I discuss Kastman-Breuch's Virtual Peer Review & my ideas regard'g it.)

Today, though, I am still swim'g in this conversation about time. I've been re-read'g a few lines from the From the Editors section: "...what if, rather than making writing a low-priority during the academic year, we made it a high priority--not to the exclusion of our other duties, but instead as a parallel activity? How would writing enable us to do the work we do better, whether that's gaining a more complete understanding of our writing centers or putting ourselves constantly in the spaces we offer to our students--as writers discovering new knowledge? How can we place our own writing in epochal time?" (3-4).

What a great series of questions! I've been think'g about these types of questions for a long time now, wonder'g specifically how we can bring more writing into our writing centers. The 1st--and most fun--way I've found is by bring'g creative writing into our centers more--not as written texts, necessarily, but by offer'g creative writing workshops where writers visit the center to engage in writing activities. I've present'd how-to workshops regard'g these writing-center-housed-writing-activity-workshops at various conferences (& will be again in SF next month) & they have always seem'd to be met with great fanfare. But while these workshops have, for the most part, target'd student-writers, I wonder how we can use the writing center as a space where we can bring faculty to write: in solitude, in pairs, in groups.

Writing can be a lonely activity. So what can we do to bring ourselves together to temporarily remove this (occasional) loneliness?

TIME... and Space

If time is the 4th dimension, I wonder how I can consider it w/o recogniz'g the 1st 3 dimensions, the ones that constitute space. Space, in many ways, dictates how we use our time. So, if we are try'g to get ourselves closer & closer to work'g in epochal time, how do we construct our space so as to allow ourselves that freedom? When my space is pressured, I feel time is more constrict'd. I often feel a need to get out of constricted space as quickly as possible--or even that I am in a constrict'd space b/c my time is crunch'd. (Here, I keep think'g of Manhattan subways @ 5pm--certainly not epochal for most.)

There was a recent discussion on WCenter about design'g a writing center--creat'g the best available space for tutors & students to work. I haven't look back at it, but I wonder if time & space were ever considered together in think'g about design'g a writing center. Because, as I think now, a wait'g student placed in a space close to an epochal session wd probably put more pressure on that session to end. So, shd we think about how close our wait'g section is to our work'g section? Do we even have enough space to consider that issue?

Hmm...I think I like this blog'g b/c it is making me write more, making me consider writing as a high priority (of course, my dissertation shd be mak'g me do that, but it just lacks a certain charm... :)

More, of course, later...

Enjoy,
Kevin



Today's musical suggestion (for the hip-hop, dance-hall reggae, funkdified, socially active dancing freak in all of us) : Michael Franti and Spearhead. http://www.spearheadvibrations.com/index.html

"... because everyone deserves music, sweet music"

4 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Blogger Tamara Miles said...

Kevin, I was just reading in The Writing Center Journal about Roberta Kjesrud, and I saw that she is interested in "play theory." Can you tell me more about this area of study? It will work right in to your time theme, if you just consider it playtime.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger rediffco.com said...

adult dating adult friend finder sex hot nude college girls teen and adult dating adult friend finder sex hot nude college girls teen and adult dating adult friend finder sex hot nude college girls teen and free dating site adult dating adult friend finder sex hot nude college girls teen and pay per click search engine and aishwarya rai ayesha takia mallika sherawat hot wallpapers

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to our website for you World of Warcraft Gold,Wow Gold,Cheap World of Warcraft Gold,cheap wow gold,buy cheap wow gold,real wow gold,Power Leveling sell wow gold, ...Here wow gold of 1000 gold at $68.99-$80.99 ,World Of Warcraft Gold,buy wow gold,sell world of warcraft gold(wow gold),buy euro gold wow Cheap wow gold,cheapest Power Leveling wow gold store ... buy euro gold wow wow gold--buy cheap wow gold,sell wow gold.welcome to buy cheap wow gold--cheap, easy, wow gold purchasing.World of Warcraft,wow gold Super ...
We can have your wow gold,buy wow gold,wow gold game,world of warcraft gold, wow Gold Cheap wow, Cheap wow gold,world of warcraft gold deal,wow powerleveling Cheap WOW Gold ...Welcome to our website for you World of Warcraft Gold,Wow Gold,Cheap World of Warcraft Gold,wow gold,buy cheap wow gold,real wow gold,sell wow gold, ... Here wow gold of 1000 gold at $68.99-$80.99,World Of Warcraft Gold,buy wow gold,sell world of warcraft gold(wow gold),buy gold wow lightninghoof instock Power Level Cheap wow gold,cheapest wow gold store ... wow gold--buy cheap wow gold,sell wow gold.welcome to buy cheap wow gold--cheap, easy, wow gold purchasing.World of Warcraft,wow gold Super ...Power Level Wow gold- Gold for buy gold wow lightninghoof instock EU-Server: ...wow Gold EU: starting from 84,99?; 3000 WoW Gold EU: starting from 119,99?. wow Gold- Leveling Services: ...We can have your wow Gold,buy wow Gold,wow Gold game,wow gold, Cheap wow Gold, Cheap World of Warcraft Gold,Power Level world of warcraft gold deal,buy cheap wow gold,Cheap WOW Gold ...Here wow Gold of 1000 gold at $68.99-$80.99,World Of Warcraft Gold,buy wow Gold,sell world of warcraft gold(wow gold),Cheap wow gold,cheapest World of Warcraft Gold store ...

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

runescape money runescape gold runescape money runescape gold wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft Power Leveling Warcraft PowerLeveling buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items runescape gold runescape money runescape accounts runescape gp dofus kamas buy dofus kamas Guild Wars Gold buy Guild Wars Gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold runescape money runescape power leveling runescape money runescape gold dofus kamas cheap runescape money cheap runescape gold Hellgate Palladium Hellgate London Palladium Hellgate money Tabula Rasa gold tabula rasa money lotro gold buy lotro gold Tabula Rasa Credit Tabula Rasa Credits Hellgate gold Hellgate London gold dofus kamas buy dofus kamas wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft PowerLeveling Warcraft Power Leveling World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling eve isk eve online isk eve isk eve online isk 血管瘤 肝血管瘤 音乐剧 北京富码电视 富码电视 富码电视台 7天酒店 7天连锁酒店 7天连锁 自清洗过滤器 过滤器 压力开关 压力传感器 流量开关 流量计 液位计 液位开关 温湿度记录仪 风速仪 可燃气体检测仪 宿县最帅的胖子

 

Post a Comment

<< Home