Monday, February 28, 2005

The Wind is Out There!

Zippity do zest!
Sprightly flightly joy!
Wind flavor up my nose—
Kite spice grins my soul.


About 18 months ago, I took up stunt kiting. Me! I can’t sing and clap at the same time. My most athletic event is walking, and I often trip myself even doing that. While I can’t articulate all the reasons I’m attracted to kiting, I can say that I took it up as a deliberate move to do something for which success depends upon shutting down my mind. To good flying, analysis is anathema. I took up flying because it relies on intuition, muscle memory, and creativity. Oh, yeah—it’s also great fun!

I’m an over-thinker.

Roberta’s monologue: “Should I submit this blog post — naw, it could be better. Good gad, I’m including a poem. I can’t write poetry. Heck, I don’t even like poetry. Nobody else posts such drivel. They all sound intelligent. I should have forty references and observe something profound. How could I express my thoughts better? Speaking of what could have gone better, what about yesterday’s tutor seminar. What should I have done differently? I bet if I had Xed, Y would have turned out better. Maybe next time I should Z."

Windpixie’s monologue: “Hm, there’s a slight gust! The wind window has shifted! Should I try a double axel or practice my flic flacs? I want to do both! Oooh, look at that — what do they call that move? I’ve never done that before. Dang! I crashed. But cool! Now I can practice my edge launch! Ooops, crashed again. Sokay. I wanted to look at the bay anyway. Whoa, get a load of that sunset. Yipes, is it sunset already? Heehaw, this is fun!"

How do you cultivate kite spice in your writing and teaching?

“Windpixie” Kjesrud

8 Comments:

At 5:50 AM, Blogger Tamara Miles said...

I don't really know what stunt kiting is, but it does sound cool! Just watch out for those kite-eating trees, Charlie Brown. Funny you should mention those formulas. I hope everyone won't have a heart attack when I tell you that I often use a "thesis formula" with my first-year comp students who can't get a grip on the idea of a thesis that drives the paper. It looks something like this:

In W, X does Y in order to Z.

*example draft thesis using said formula: In "A Good Man is Hard to Find," Flannery O'Connor challenges the self-righteousness of the "good Christian" (represented by the grandmother) in order to reveal the true path to mercy and salvation (represented by the wicked but vulnerable Misfit).

Shall I be banished from the WC kingdom? Hey, I'm math-impaired, but the thesis formula works for some students, and I'm going to be recalcitrant about giving it up as a teaching method. I've put up my shield and am awaiting the onslaught of criticisms that may come my way. (I drew the Page of Swords tarot card today, by the way, so I'm visualizing myself as the leaping girl in the cobalt robe and boots with my sword raised to the sun, bouncing off rays of light in every direction --- how can I lose?)

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger /WCJ/ said...

I don't think formulas are necessarily bad, Tamara. It's more a matter of them being inflexible for a wide variety of writing contexts (e.g., shoehorning something complex into 5-paragraph essay structure). The formula you give is fine for a literary analysis paper, but would it work for other genres? In other words, formulaic approaches are a sort of anti-stunt kiting, kind of like stunt kiting with a video game in the safety of one's computer rather than dangling off of a high cliff (and never having stunt kited myself, the video game doesn't sound so bad!).

Neal Lerner

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Tamara Miles said...

Well-said (well-blogged?), Neal. The formula, or a variant of it, seems to work for at least the basic types of writing we do in English 101 and 102 --- but I have a few other tricks up my sleeve for other genres. It's a little like shadow-dancing, all this planning for writing. Somewhere among all the academic/formulaic approaches (and aren't grading rubrics formulas?) we find something fresh to say in a way that is ready to be considered and evaluated by somebody.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Sherri said...

Roberta! I'm glad you posted this comment. I have been forgetting to be playful. So much to do, so much to do, and yet there's this wind blowing out there--and I'm aware of it, sort of....

I like how you're playing with your subconscious thoughts, too. Post this? No? Others sound better than I do? Others sound more serious? Yipes.

Thanks for reminding me to open up my mind and play today.

Sherri

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very lovely came here looking for adult friend finder in pakistan
the information about adult friend finder in pakistan is great :)
Wish you lots of luck with ur blog

visit my site about adult friend finder in pakistan

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link of beach wedding.

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger rediffco.com said...

adult dating adult friend finder sex hot nude college girls teen and adult dating adult friend finder sex hot nude college girls teen and adult dating adult friend finder sex hot nude college girls teen and free dating site adult dating adult friend finder sex hot nude college girls teen and pay per click search engine and aishwarya rai ayesha takia mallika sherawat hot wallpapers

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

runescape money runescape gold runescape money runescape gold wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft Power Leveling Warcraft PowerLeveling buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items runescape gold runescape money runescape accounts runescape gp dofus kamas buy dofus kamas Guild Wars Gold buy Guild Wars Gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold runescape money runescape power leveling runescape money runescape gold dofus kamas cheap runescape money cheap runescape gold Hellgate Palladium Hellgate London Palladium Hellgate money Tabula Rasa gold tabula rasa money lotro gold buy lotro gold Tabula Rasa Credit Tabula Rasa Credits Hellgate gold Hellgate London gold dofus kamas buy dofus kamas wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft PowerLeveling Warcraft Power Leveling World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling eve isk eve online isk eve isk eve online isk 血管瘤 肝血管瘤 音乐剧 北京富码电视 富码电视 富码电视台 7天酒店 7天连锁酒店 7天连锁 自清洗过滤器 过滤器 压力开关 压力传感器 流量开关 流量计 液位计 液位开关 温湿度记录仪 风速仪 可燃气体检测仪 宿县最帅的胖子

 

Post a Comment

<< Home