Monday, March 14, 2005

Bracketology: Ranking, Evaluating, Liking

The seeds are set; the bracket announced. Kansas at #3 seed. Those OK Cowboys at #2. Congrats to Melissa Iannetta at Oklahoma State. Rival writing centers? NCAA and IWCA rankings?


The Bully Bracelet: LiveStrong to make it to the final four


Yes, bracketology is on the minds of college basketball fans today. What does this have to to with teaching writing? Do we imagine we don't rank, evaluate, and like? Even with a complex formula for determining the seeds in the bracket, after all the mathematics it comes down to the subjective. If you listen this week to sports pundits, you will hear it: "You know, I like Vermont." "Yeah, I really like Gonzaga in this match up." "I can't believe she likes Wisconsin for the final dance."

Tamara Miles wrote a comment to this blog just this morning: "Will it come as a big surprise to anyone to hear that I HATE GRADING PAPERS? Looking at the papers, talking about them, offering help, teaching --- I like that part --- but the grading I can do without, not just because of the work but because of the emotional entanglement."


Look at and possibily like: Elbow, Peter. "Ranking, Evaluating, and Liking," College English 55 (1993)

And "Should Teachers Comment on Drafts of Student Essays? or Making Time for Peer Review" by Michael Kischner

M.

5 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger /WCJ/ said...

Here's evidence that playing basketball can get you places, even for students at my institution:

Student Drafted for Basketball Flick

NL

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Melissa Ianetta said...

Okay, I'll admit it; while I've been tempted to post in the past,I've blogged before. I've only actually followed through this time because I saw my name in M's post (GO POKES). So: is naming part of ranking? Or vice-versa?

I'm not sure, but maybe that's why some writing center "folks" resist the notion of accrediation -- is it possible to establish what "accredits" a writing center without have some sort of Platonic Ideal of a writing center? If not, do we risk turning our ranking and naming over to somebody else? Will we end up with the US News and World reports rankings of writing centers?

Okay, that's about as many Deep Thoughts on professional issues I can afford to toss out for one day. I've got Cs paper to finish, and so I'd better save any Deep Professional Thoughts in case I run out of ideas on the actual topic of the paper. . .

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Melissa Ianetta said...

Okay, I'll admit it; while I've been tempted to post in the past,I've blogged before. I've only actually followed through this time because I saw my name in M's post (GO POKES). So: is naming part of ranking? Or vice-versa?

I'm not sure, but maybe that's why some writing center "folks" resist the notion of accrediation -- is it possible to establish what "accredits" a writing center without have some sort of Platonic Ideal of a writing center? If not, do we risk turning our ranking and naming over to somebody else? Will we end up with the US News and World reports rankings of writing centers?

Okay, that's about as many Deep Thoughts on professional issues I can afford to toss out for one day. I've got Cs paper to finish, and so I'd better save any Deep Professional Thoughts in case I run out of ideas on the actual topic of the paper. . .

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

runescape money runescape gold runescape money runescape gold wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft Power Leveling Warcraft PowerLeveling buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items runescape gold runescape money runescape accounts runescape gp dofus kamas buy dofus kamas Guild Wars Gold buy Guild Wars Gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold runescape money runescape power leveling runescape money runescape gold dofus kamas cheap runescape money cheap runescape gold Hellgate Palladium Hellgate London Palladium Hellgate money Tabula Rasa gold tabula rasa money lotro gold buy lotro gold Tabula Rasa Credit Tabula Rasa Credits Hellgate gold Hellgate London gold dofus kamas buy dofus kamas wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft PowerLeveling Warcraft Power Leveling World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling eve isk eve online isk eve isk eve online isk 血管瘤 肝血管瘤 音乐剧 北京富码电视 富码电视 富码电视台 7天酒店 7天连锁酒店 7天连锁 自清洗过滤器 过滤器 压力开关 压力传感器 流量开关 流量计 液位计 液位开关 温湿度记录仪 风速仪 可燃气体检测仪 宿县最帅的胖子

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really love your blog, i haven't seen you keeping the posts in in some time now. Is everything ok. You can reach me here = web traffic@simply pet products.com. Thanks Again Rob Dog Crates, Dog Toys ( Dog Supplies & Cat Supplies Pet Store, Dog Collars) Send Traffic Now

 

Post a Comment

<< Home