Sunday, July 03, 2005

WPA???? I thought the program said IWCA!!!!!

Just kidding, folks . . . your humble narrator did indeed knowingly come to Anchorage Alaska for the WPA workshop/conference. My reasons for coming to WPA this particular year have to do with my move to the University of Delaware, where I’ll be starting this fall as a Director of Writing and member of the English faculty. (This position includes directing the writing center, so don’t think the writing center community is getting rid of me that easily! I’ll still be at IWCA this fall.)

While I’ve waited a whiles, I’ve wanted to come to the WPA conference in the past, but never found the time (and by “time,” I mean money). I’ve wondered how the “other half lived” at WPA, but the travel money attached to my administrative work sent me to the Cs and to IWCA, the conferences most directly related to my position as a writing center director.

I wonder how many of us find ourselves in this position: we’d like to broaden our participation in the varieties writing program conferences (WAC, Comp, TechWriting) but lack the time or other resources to do so? What opportunities we (I) miss by going to the same conferences every year? I think the support offered by our most immediate professional community at these conferences is crucial, but so is the cross-pollination of ideas available in a broader community of scholars. Maybe we’d benefit from something the Alliance of Rhetoric Societies, which promotes interdisciplinary work among rhetoric scholars? Or maybe not?

But, in reality, many of us are lucky if we get funded to see our colleagues at a single regional or national conference each year. Accordingly, my goal this week is to impart some sense of WPA from a writing center p.o.v . . . now, I'm off for a quick nap before things start up!

Until later, Melissa


Whoops! Wrong conference photo!

2 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

runescape money runescape gold runescape money runescape gold wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft Power Leveling Warcraft PowerLeveling buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items runescape gold runescape money runescape accounts runescape gp dofus kamas buy dofus kamas Guild Wars Gold buy Guild Wars Gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold runescape money runescape power leveling runescape money runescape gold dofus kamas cheap runescape money cheap runescape gold Hellgate Palladium Hellgate London Palladium Hellgate money Tabula Rasa gold tabula rasa money lotro gold buy lotro gold Tabula Rasa Credit Tabula Rasa Credits Hellgate gold Hellgate London gold dofus kamas buy dofus kamas wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft PowerLeveling Warcraft Power Leveling World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling eve isk eve online isk eve isk eve online isk 血管瘤 肝血管瘤 音乐剧 北京富码电视 富码电视 富码电视台 7天酒店 7天连锁酒店 7天连锁 自清洗过滤器 过滤器 压力开关 压力传感器 流量开关 流量计 液位计 液位开关 温湿度记录仪 风速仪 可燃气体检测仪 宿县最帅的胖子

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really love your blog, i haven't seen you keeping the posts in in some time now. Is everything ok. You can reach me here = web traffic@simply pet products.com. Thanks Again Rob Dog Crates, Dog Toys ( Dog Supplies & Cat Supplies Pet Store, Dog Collars) Send Traffic Now

 

Post a Comment

<< Home