Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A virtual identity crisis

So, today I’m wondering about our virtual presence. We’ve got a website www.bsu.edu/web/wcenter but it is terribly out of date. It hasn’t been touched since our webspinner/tutor graduated last December. Despite this, students often say they heard about us from our website. We don’t have an OWL and no funds, personnel, or energy to start one in the near future. So what is the purpose of our website? Will students really go there for writing help instead of a handbook site or a more comprehensive site (like Purdue's)? How do we find out about our web users? Does anyone visit our website and decide from that not to use our services? Basically, right now, we could tell students about our services on one page and not sink a lot of time or energy into our site. If that’s our purpose then why do more than that?

Yet, I wonder if I should really consider the tutors the main audience. I could include more things that matter to them—schedules, the tutor manual, announcements, and sites to show students while tutoring. Would any of this need to be password protected? They seem like the most likely users.

Anyone know about who visits their websites and why? Is there a way to track this—maybe with a pop-up survey or something? Or, I suppose, we could do a focus group of writing center clients and see which of them have been to the site. That wouldn’t give us faculty or tutor users though. Hmm…

jrgm

PS: I just read the comment from "anonymous" about the metaphors for online tutoring--see last post; good questions, anonymous. I think we can think about that in terms of online spaces in general. Not only who uses my space (my questions above) but what do I want them to feel in this space. I guess my missing metaphor for the physical space carries over to the virtual one, too. I guess I'm just as nervous about a webspace looking ragged, amateur, unkempt as I am about the physical writing center. What's the virtual equivalent of a shockingly ugly lazy boy?

6 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

There are a couple options, from what I know of websites: if you want to know who visits your website, you could install a stats counter on your website; they tend to range from easy to install to difficult, from free to costing something, and can include a wide range of information (depending on what you want to know: how often your site gets hit, IP logs, etc.). You can actually find quite a few web trackers by doing a Google search; many offer statistics, web analytics, and a whole slew of other information, some of which can be personalized.

If you're looking for more specific information regarding why people have come to your website, or how they found it, a pop-up survey might be doable, but keep in mind that many folks have pop-up blockers in their browsers that disallow pop-ups to appear.

Even though you say you have no personnel, funds, or energy for something along these lines, I presume your website is hosted on a server hosted somewhere on campus, which (hopefully) means you have an IT department. If there's a programmer employed, he or she might be able to put something together that could be secretly or openly attached to your website, giving you the information you want.

With all this in mind, though, let me know if I can be of some help, since I might be able to lend a hand or investigating further how you could implement something that could give you the data you'd like to know.

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recently, it became clear at my institution that websites are (for the most part) now only intended for external marketing (to prospective students and families, alums, etc.). Little or no resources will be put into support for websites as internal resources (for students, for example).

This has changed my answer to your good question. Now that I know -- in terms of institutional priorities, at least -- who should be viewing the web site, I have a better sense of what I want it to feel like. But, still, I feel torn. When I had imagined the writing center website I hoped to help develop, it was a website with resources for students and faculty.

I'm not sure I'd let the physical space of the writing center be so adjusted by institutional priorities. Why do I feel so willing to allow institutional priorities to shape the virtual space?

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger TLA Increase Your Page Rank said...

Nice blog. Have you seen your google rating? BlogFlux It's Free and you can add a Little Script to your site that will tell everyone your ranking. I think yours was a 3. I guess you'll have to check it out.

In the news today.

Congress and the Bush administration want seriously degrade organic standards. The word organic will no longer carry
any value if we let them.

Stop the Sneak Attack in Congress on Organic Standards

Congress will vote on this issue soon!

Use below link, read more and then use link within this
article to send email to your Congresspersons.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/sos.cfm

=============================================
Download Driving Now!

 
At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A: a shockingly good-looking lazy boy...why be ugly in virtual space?!

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

runescape money runescape gold runescape money runescape gold wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft Power Leveling Warcraft PowerLeveling buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items runescape gold runescape money runescape accounts runescape gp dofus kamas buy dofus kamas Guild Wars Gold buy Guild Wars Gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold runescape money runescape power leveling runescape money runescape gold dofus kamas cheap runescape money cheap runescape gold Hellgate Palladium Hellgate London Palladium Hellgate money Tabula Rasa gold tabula rasa money lotro gold buy lotro gold Tabula Rasa Credit Tabula Rasa Credits Hellgate gold Hellgate London gold dofus kamas buy dofus kamas wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft PowerLeveling Warcraft Power Leveling World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling eve isk eve online isk eve isk eve online isk 血管瘤 肝血管瘤 音乐剧 北京富码电视 富码电视 富码电视台 7天酒店 7天连锁酒店 7天连锁 自清洗过滤器 过滤器 压力开关 压力传感器 流量开关 流量计 液位计 液位开关 温湿度记录仪 风速仪 可燃气体检测仪 宿县最帅的胖子

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really love your blog, i haven't seen you keeping the posts in in some time now. Is everything ok. You can reach me here = web traffic@simply pet products.com. Thanks Again Rob Dog Crates, Dog Toys ( Dog Supplies & Cat Supplies Pet Store, Dog Collars) Send Traffic Now

 

Post a Comment

<< Home